After completing the exercise you should have some idea of your potential for being a professional counselor. You may use the questions as sub-headings. (APA format required)
- What are my three best personal qualities and the three areas in my life I wish to improve?
- If I was asked what was my philosophy of life, how would I respond?
- What is most often my pervasive mood? Is my glass half full or half empty?
- What do I believe about people in general?
- How effectively do I handle constructive feedback from others?
- What role do my gender, religion, sexual orientation, and ethnic values play in my life?
- What are my professional strengths and weaknesses relative to being a counselor?
- What are my professional goals at this point?
- How do I handle stress?
- What is your motivation for becoming a helper? How do my answers to the questions above detract or add to my goal of becoming a counselor?
This exercise was adapted from material by Dr. Glenda Reynolds, Auburn University at Montgomery. Her contribution is greatly appreciated.